It happens to all of us.
Just before you hit Send on that email pitch, just before you hit the green ‘Apply to This Job’ button, you freeze.
You become paralyzed with fear and uncertainty. You begin to doubt yourself and slowly turn to make a run for it. You feel the urge to procrastinate, telling yourself, “Maybe I’ll wait till my skills are better. Maybe I’ll apply to this job when I’m good enough.”
Are you good enough?
Today’s episode explores the problem of self-doubt and the fear of not being good enough. It’s a problem many freelancers struggle with and have no idea how to address or overcome it. We hope this episode gives you the courage and the tools to finally address your own limiting beliefs and actually move forward from them.
In this episode:
- Celine and Stef discuss the fear of not being good enough, their own experiences with this fear, and how many freelancers confess that this is one of the biggest problems that keep them up at night.
- These negative feelings have a ripple effect that in many ways affect different aspects of the self. Moreover, they get to the bottom of how does this affect the self in the context of freelancing.
- The first step to addressing the fear of not being good enough is to unpack the WHY behind it. Stef outlines the different sources or factors that contribute while Celine explains the difference between the dynamic mindset and static mindset.
- Your mind could simply be playing tricks on you. Celine talks about the three types of cognitive biases that may hinder you from doing your work.
- What are the possible steps to take to overcome your fear of not being good enough? Celine suggests a realistic BRAG board while Stef encourages you to embrace failure as a part of living.
Dr. Cate Howell
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph. D.
Two Bulletproof Ways to Overcome Your Fear of Not Being Good Enough
On Being Creative by Ira Glass
“Great People Do Things Before They’re Ready” by Zen Pencils
Amy Poehler: Smart Girls
Ohlife.com – a digital daily journaling web app to help you get your thoughts out of your head and express yourself
Download: 5-Step Action Plan worksheet